Friday, September 10, 2010

Perfume

Oh, how I love to wear Perfume. The sense of smell is one of my five senses that is on alert all the time. Think about it. When I go into get my boys up in the morning... "Ugh, what is that smell?" Yep, you guessed it, Elijah has a dirty diaper!! Not all smells are bad though!! Don't you just love putting on a nice perfume before heading out the door on a "date night"? Or what about the smell of ooey, gooey cinnamon rolls fresh from the oven!!

Well I was reading this verse this morning and it reallly got me thinking!!


“. . . through us [God] spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life.” 2 Corinthians 2:14-16.

Wow, WE are the Perfume, Aroma, Scent of Christ to God!!! Our smell is given off to believers and unbelievers alike!!! I don't know about you, but just thinking back on the past few hours, there were some pretty smelly moments.

Would you ever buy a perfume that wreaked??

Would you ever tell someone that you liked their perfume if it smelled horrid?

Oh, Lord give me the grace and self-control to be a pleasing smell in your sight!!!

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I've had a cold this week and have been unable to smell anything. Today I was finally able to smell again, and just a couple of hours ago, I was thinking about how much I LOVE my sense of smell. :) When Ida was a baby I had some sort of nasal problem and went a year and a half w/o being able to smell, and once it came back, I can't even tell you how many emotions came with all the smells! People take it for granted-- I hated having other people tell me my baby needed a diaper change when I had no clue. And I would cry because I couldn't smell her after baths/baby lotion. Once my kitchen filled w/ gas and I didn't know it. I could go on and on about all the things I missed when I couldn't smell. But I won't... because I know you're trying to say more about the spiritual aspect of it. But it still hit me strong to read this post!
    I also saw that you posted this verse on FB this morning, but hadn't related the thoughts yet. I feel like God is trying to say something to me now (well, isn't He always trying to say something when we read Scripture?? He is!)-- but thank you! Good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete